Monday, March 24, 2008

I have a friend.......


I have a friend. I have never met her in real life, but I have a great admiration for her. She gives of herself effortlessly to her ‘cause’ the American Cancer Society.

She is one of the most unselfish people I have ever come in contact with. Whenever she receives a gift, she thinks of ACS, she has the most dedication, compassion and energy I have ever come across. And there is good reason for this.

Cancer knows no boundaries, doesn’t discriminate and isn’t bigoted. It doesn’t recognize gender, age or location. It will find you no matter if you are healthy, out of shape, exercise regularly, attack if you eat salad or hamburgers as a steady diet. I know of 60 year old people suffering, and I had a close friend die of cancer when he was 28. Cancer can strike your husband, wife, boy/girl friend, father, mother, grandparents, brother, sister, close friend ANYONE! It can find even you my friends, it’s a devious disease.

My mother died from cancer. It was painful to her. I watched as she writhed in pain her last few days of life, the doctors unable to do anything, even ease her pain. If you ever witness this, it will change your life forever, as it has for me and my virtual friend Loretta. It pains me to think, even 10 years after she died, what my mother endured, and it pains me and hurts my heart to think people still have to deal with this.

This is why I’m jumping on this particular bandwagon. I have always tried to do my part to help out things I believe in, but I’m making the tenth year of my mom’s death a special year, I am going to try and dedicate as much time and effort into cancer research and fundraising, for future people like my mom, and even more so, future generations who might not have to endure such hardships.

I’m going to include links to her MySpace page, it has all the information you need to know about her team and her goals. She is even having a neat T-shirt design contest. It’s in Albany, New York, June 13th and I’m begging everyone in the area to attend and come up and walk with us. I am driving up from Connecticut to walk. It’s going to be FUN! If you’ve never attended an ACS walk before, let me tell you they are events that will be remembered for a long time. So even if you know of no one who has ever had cancer, just remember it can strike whenever it wants to. I’m going to go one step further, and if you are in the area, and want to attend and don’t have transportation to and from the event in June, I will volunteer, at no cost to you, rides to all who want to attend. I promise! Just open a dialog with me and we’ll work something out!

Here is the link to her page.



Post a Comment